Wish you all a Merry Christmas!
On 25 December 1929 the Mother had distributed little bunches of the leaves She called ‘New Birth’ to the members of Sri Aurobindo Ashram, Pondicherry. This was the earliest reference of Christmas being celebrated in Sri Aurobindo Ashram. In 1944, on the occasion of Christmas, the Mother had asked Mona Pinto (In-charge of ‘Golconde’) to organize a little celebration for the children who had joined the Ashram with their parents due to the outbreak of the Second World War. This celebration was organized at the residence of Mona Pinto which was situated in front of the present Ashram Library. A couple of years later it was decided to organize Christmas celebrations in the Playground. For about ten years, Christmas was celebrated at the Ashram Playground and the Mother sat near the Christmas tree and distributed gifts to Her children. From 1958 Christmas was celebrated in the Ashram Theatre where the Mother distributed the Christmas gifts till 1961. Though She stopped visiting the Theatre to distribute gifts, She continued to give special messages during Christmas till 1972.
On the occasion of Christmas, almost all the available photographs of the Mother taken during Christmas in various years have been published in the website of Overman Foundation. These photographs were taken by Venkatesh, Chiman-bhai, Amiyo Ranjan Ganguli and Pranab Kumar Bhattacharya.
With warm regards,
The exact dates of the following photographs are not unknown.
The following photographs were taken on 25 December 1960.
The following photographs were taken on 25 December 1961. This was the last time the Mother went to the Theatre to celebrate Christmas.
Photographs courtesy: Ms. Tara Jauhar.