During the early years of Sri Aurobindo Ashram, children were not allowed to live in the Ashram. In the early 1940s, when a number of families were admitted to the Ashram, the Mother decided to open a school to provide education to the children who had come with their parents. On 2 December 1943 she formally opened a school for about twenty children and she herself was one of the teachers. On 24 April 1951 she presided over a convention at Pondicherry where it was resolved to establish an “international university centre.” On 6 January 1952 she inaugurated the Sri Aurobindo International University Centre. This name was changed to Sri Aurobindo International Centre of Education in 1959.
Thirty photographs of the Mother inaugurating the Sri Aurobindo International University Centre on 6 January 1952 (taken by noted photographers of the Ashram like Venkatesh, Robi Ganguli and Chimanbhai) have been published in the online forum of Overman Foundation.
With warm regards,
Photographs Courtesy: Ms. Tara Jauhar